You should place your .jar file under Tomcat_home/common/lib.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ying Zhang [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2002 6:03 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help on mmmySQL/JDBC/Tomcat

Hi,

I am trying to connect mysql database in jsp file. Mysql itself works well.
but when I use jsp file, I got ClassNotFoundException caused by could not
load JDBC/mysql Driver. I have installed mm.mysql.Driver. If connect by java
code only, it works well. I do not know why the same kind of code does not
work for jsp file, does my tomcat has any problem?

I am in Linux, tomcat is working with Apache.

This is the jsp code I am using:

<%@page language="java"
   import="java.sql.*"%>
<%
    Connection con = null;
    try{

      System.out.println("start");
      Class.forName("org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver").newInstance();
      System.out.println("JDBC driver loaded");

      con = DriverManager.getConnection(
      "jdbc:mysql://localhost/zhaoding ?user=zhaoding&password=zhaoding");
      System.out.println("Database connection established");

    } catch(ClassNotFoundException cnfe){
      System.out.println("ClassNotFoundException: Could not locate driver");
    } catch(SQLException cnfe){
      System.out.println("SQLException:"+cnfe);
    } catch(Exception e){
      System.out.println("An unknow error occurred while connecting to the
database");
   } finally {
      try{
        if(con!=null)
        con.close();
      }catch(SQLException sqle){
       System.out.println("Unable to close database connection.");

      }
    }
%>

Thanks a lot for your time.