I did not try it. But I did find the cause. I am on a UNIX box so I use
the startup.sh script. This script calls another script setclass.sh.
This
file is missing the #!/bin/sh first line that all the other *.sh files
have.
I my case my shell is csh. The net effect was to cause a failure without
any
error messages from the startup.sh script. I simply added the line and
off
we go.

Thanks for all of your pointers.

Scott