----- Original Message -----
From: Phillip Morelock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> It's a "feature" of the Servlet specification if you will...actually it's
> somewhat of an accident of nature, given the way browsers are specified to
> work WRT cookies.
>
> - Cookies are (in the world of Web browsers) inherently server-name based.
> so if you get a cookie from "www.yahoo.com" you will send that cookie on
> each subsequent request to "www.yahoo.com" -- and further, you will
__only__
> send it to "www.yahoo.com", or anything under that domain (meaning
> "xxx.www.yahoo.com" also gets this cookie from you).  Also, if you get a
> cookie from "yahoo.com" then you will send that cookie to ANY site with
the
> pattern *.yahoo.com.
>
> - Contexts under the servlet specification are based on the first / after
> the site name.  So "www.mysite.com/foobar" and "www.mysite.com/jimmy" are
> two different applications, with two different hash tables for their
session
> objects.  They "can't" know about each other -- this is a security and
> configuration feature -- see the servlet specification.

This is why the cookie rfc introduces the path element in the cookie header,
i.e. telnetting to Tomcat and sending a request for a context bound to the
root of the domain, i.e. http://www.mydomain.com/ will give me this in
my headers sent back:

Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=D4F42E4F346F947DDB409C0B8F6BDA19;Path=/

However, telnetting to a context such as http://www.mydomain.com/context/
and I'll get this sent back:

Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=D128650F08DCF7B371FCC29E79E87AD7;Path=/context

> You might consider instead of your current scheme to use virtual hosts.
> Instead of "www.mysite.com/app1" and "www.mysite.com/app2" you could have
> "app1.mysite.com" and "app2.mysite.com" as one way of working around this
> "feature."

If browsers respect cookies and paths they shouldn't do this (see above), I
can
see an problem if you have a context mounted at / and one at /context
although
I'm not totally sure which cookie(s) the browser will send back, an
intelligent
browser would either send both or the cookie more specific to the path
requested.

Regards,

James Williamson
www.nameonthe.net
UK Tomcat Hosting

> cheers
> fillup
>

> On 5/28/02 4:43 PM, "Ghanshyam Patel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Thanks. Are all appservers required to behave this way or is this a
Tomcat
> > feature?

JSESSIONID