Hi there!

So since you claim you are "new to this sort of thing" -- that's fair
enough.  I would like to make sure you've read the Java Servlet
specification:

http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html

Hit the "download" link next to "Specification" under 2.3.

http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/download.html

On this one (JSP), download the 1.2 specification.

These documents are the official reference for how this stuff is "supposed"
to work, and since Tomcat is the official reference implementation, Tomcat
generally works as expected under the specifications.

If you've already read this stuff, forgive me.  I'm an old-timer and I still
refer to these documents when I get stuck.  Maybe smarter folks than I can
keep the whole thing in their heads.  Cheers and have fun.

fillup