Thank you. This was exactly what I was looking for. I thought that by
opening a file for a servlet and then returning it like a stream to the
client whould take too much resources but it also seemed like the only
way I could whink of except for some kind of HTTP Authentication. But I
haven't seen any packages out there that can verify a user with HTTP
Authentication and then use som kind of RequestDispatcher.

By the way, do you think that it's best to have the protected files on
my Apache server with HTTP Authentication with a login/pass what Tomcat
is aware of so Tomcat can get the resource and then send it to the user
or is it better to have the files inside WEB/INF for example? I have
both Apache and Tomcat running on the same machine.

Markus