Howdy,
Reloading the whole-app is very different from selectively reloading a
set of classes.  When you use the manager to reload as you suggest, you
will also re-trigger the various initialization events (filters,
servlets, etc.).

If that's what you want to do, then the manager reload is excellent.  I
personally like it a lot.

However, if you want to reload just a specific class in place, that's
more tricky.  You'll probably have to subclass the ClassLoader itself to
do what you want.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics