On 6/6/02 12:55 AM, "James Williamson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm sorry Fillup, this is what raised my earlier (trollish) post, you
> often seem to be feeding this list with invalid information or from what
> I can gather your highly personal perspective on what's right or wrong.

Fair enough!

I guess when people who are unfamiliar with the architecture ask questions
that are not Tomcat-related but jsp/servlet questions -- I opine freely,
trying to save people (perceived?) troubles that I have faced, since I have
been doing this for a while.  Perhaps I should not.  I voice no irony in
saying this....you make a fair point.

And, FWIW, I did not take your comment as a troll.

Troll:
- 1. v   To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable
- 2. n   An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts
specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup, discussion
list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a
discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the fact that they have no real
interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter
flame bait

You are no troll, good sir.  You engage in valid discussion without fire.

In fact, I only subscribed to this list around a month or two ago, so that I
could give back to this community -- I have learned a lot from mentors
throughout my career, and I am looking for a way to give back that does not
impede my progress on my current projects that put food on the table, so to
speak.  If my opinions seem strong and (occasionally) fixed, I apologize.  I
have formed some pretty strong opinions about the architecture and about
things that tend to work and not work in Tomcat, and things that tend to
work and not work in Servlet/JSP applications.  Some of this information is
probably outdated or perhaps tied to a particular erroneously-identified
issue I have faced -- in other words I thought it was problem A but in fact
it was a hidden problem B that my workaround for A happened to luckily fix.
This happens.  I think I have been helpful, if only to some, and if only
sometimes.  Such is the best I can do.

In particular -- the issue of <%! declarations at hand: in my dealings with
folks (previous to my time with this list), I found that so-called "newbies"
who are really quite good and experienced in other environments tend to
really want to use <%! declarations all over the place.  They like this
feature, and several of the "intro to jsp" type of books seem to encourage
the practice.  Fair enough.  9 times out of 10 -- or maybe 6, 7 or 8 I
suppose -- the reasoning that was provided to me indicated a
misunderstanding of the JSP architectural foundation.   There probably are
many situations that I have not seen where the usage is appropriate, but it
demands a higher degree of understanding of the architecture than one would
be led to believe by its apparent simplicity.

If / when I give invalid information, or perhaps information that is more
applicable only to my personal situations and opinions, please feel free to
correct me in public, for that is what such presumptuousness deserves.  This
is within the bounds of fair play on a technical list, and certainly not
"trollish."  I take your comments as completely fair.

I just wanted to stick up for myself a bit, and apologize at the same time.
A paradox.  If anyone would like to respond, let's please take this off-list
to save the inboxes and ISP's of others.

respectfully,
fillup