The original message is at the end...
I'm using RedHat linux but I suspect the solution is very similar.
I've created a user tomcat4 in the already existing apache group.
Login is disabled for this user for security reasons. The
jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3 directory is owned by root with 777 perms
on the work and logs subdirectories. On further thought I suppose
I could have chown'd those directories to tomcat4.apache with 755
perms.
I've created a file /etc/sysconfig/tomcat4 as follows:
-------------%<--------------------------------------
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0
export CATALINA_BASE=/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3
export CATALINA_HOME=$CATALINA_BASE
-------------%<--------------------------------------
This gets referenced/sourced in the init script which is
named /etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat4. It is heavily based on
the httpd init script. It doesn't do status yet and the locking
hasn't been tested but it seems to work ok otherwise.
I then run 'chkconfig --add tomcat4' to install it in the proper
runlevel directories. There may also be a problem with the
order on shutdown but I'm not sure. I think I might be trying
to shutdown postgresql before tomcat which ends up blocking, so
the shutdown fails. At least, I think that is what happens. YMMV.
I ask one favour. If you improve upon this script then please post
your changes as there has been a real lack of this sort of tomcat
infrastructure postings. Now, I'm just as guilty since I meant to
post this long ago but ended up forgetting...
Kevin
-------------%<--------------------------------------
#!/bin/bash
#
# Startup script for the Apache Tomcat JSP/Servlet Container
#
# chkconfig: 345 85 15
# description: Apache Tomcat is a JSP/Servlet container. It is used to serve \
# JSP pages and "execute" servlets.
# processname: XXX - fixme - XXX
# pidfile: none
# lockfile: /var/lock/subsys/tomcat4
# config: $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml
# config: /etc/sysconfig/tomcat4
# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
# Source additional OPTIONS if we have them.
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/tomcat4 ] ; then
. /etc/sysconfig/tomcat4
fi
prog=tomcat4
start() {
echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
#daemon $httpd `moduleargs` $OPTIONS
su tomcat4 ${CATALINA_HOME}/bin/catalina.sh start $2>&1
RETVAL=$?
echo
[ $RETVAL = 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/tomcat4
return $RETVAL
}
stop() {
echo -n $"Stopping $prog: "
#killproc $httpd
su tomcat4 ${CATALINA_HOME}/bin/catalina.sh stop $2>&1
RETVAL=$?
echo
[ $RETVAL = 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/tomcat4 /var/run/tomcat4.pid
}
status() {
echo -n $"Status $prog: not implemented yet!"
echo
RETVAL=1
}
case "$1" in
start)
start
;;
stop)
stop
;;
restart)
stop
sleep 20
start
;;
*)
echo $"Usage: $prog {start|stop|restart}"
exit 1
esac
exit $RETVAL
-------------%<--------------------------------------
Original message follows:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all,
Using SOLARIS 2.8, Tomcat 4.0.2 on a SUN 220R Server
Well my Tomcat engine is runnin' under a special user, let's say
wildcat.
I'm looking for a way to automatically start this engine at system
boot, like i do with Apache.
Apache has a special way - start by root and change user to handle the
processes - to do the trick, but not Tomcat.
Does any one knows about a restriction to use smth like su wildtiger -c
'$TOMCAT_HOME/bin/startup.sh'...
Any suggestions welcome.
Jean-Luc :O)
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page
from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts
http://uk.my.yahoo.com
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>