On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Arshad Mahmood wrote:

> Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:49:07 +0100
> From: Arshad Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Please help me improve my question skills (number of tomcat
>     a pps)
>
> Hi,
>
> So the question reduces to:-
>     1. What are the extra memory requirements for a virtual host/context?
>     2. How much longer does it take to decide on a servlet/jsp to invoke for
> an extra virtual host/context?
>
> >From my (limited) understanding of Tomcat, I would say the answer to both of
> these questions is negligible compared to the memory/overhead of processing
> a typical request. So your question reduces to how many requests can be
> processed by your instance, and that depends very much on your application.
> The distribution of the requests amongst the applications shouldm't matter.
>
> Can somebody more knowledgeable confirm the extra resource requirements for
> virtual hosts/contexts.

Virtual hosts and webapps are both looked up via Hashtables (Tomcat 3.x)
or HashMaps (Tomcat 4.x), so the cost is indeed very small - so small that
it's basically not worth worrying about for a standalone Tomcat
installation.

When you're using Tomcat behind a web connector, it really depends on how
the connector is implemented -- and someone else will have to answer those
questions; I never use 'em so don't have any idea.

> Regards,
> Arshad

Craig