I recently downloaded
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.1/bin/jakar
ta-tomcat-4.0.1.tar.gz but the servlet examples did not work (error 404).

Looking at the files in the logs/ folder showed there was a problem with
SetCharacterEncodingFilter.clas in webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/filters/
folder.

When I renamed this file to SetCharacterEncodingFilter.class the examples
were accessible!

It's probably something to do with my OS X being on a Mac compatible partition
and so filenames longer than 32 are truncated (?)

Hope this helps someone

Robert