Howdy,
No, I don't mean JPDA_OPTS: those are for debugging.  CATALINA_OPTS is
the environment variable, and one (good) place to set is is in
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh.  You can also set it in other scripts
that start / stop tomcat, etc.

I always thought the internal documentation in Catalina.sh was
sufficient.  Basically, CATALINA_OPTS will be passed to the java runtime
as-is.  So if you say CATALINA_OPTS='-Xmx200m', -Xmx200m will be passed
to the java runtime, telling it to give you 200MB max on the heap as
opposed to the default 64MB.

The java.sun.com site has documentation on all the java runtime options.

-Xmx is just the beginning if you want to seriously tune your memory /
GC performance.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics