MS IE has sometimes his own opinion what to open and
ignores the content type.

The safest way to convince IE to open PDF is to set the
content type to load the file from a url that has the
extension .pdf.

Additional hint:
  Make shure that your servlet supports Byte range
  requests (HTTP 1.1). The acrobat reader sometimes
  uses this. (Have a look at the source for the
  servlet that implements the fileserving for tomcat)