I've added a line in my tomcat.sh that sets the TOMCAT_OPTS variable.
You should really set "-server" since I've seen noticeable improvements
over the "-client" option (which is the default). "-server" must be the
first option. Then, use -Xms and -Xmx to increase your memory
allocation. If you are using 1.3.x, you should look at -XX:NewSize and
-XX:MaxNewSize for much larger mx/ms values. You can find more
information about these at http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/index.html

David