On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Turner, John wrote:

> Any special reason why includes are undesirable?  Seems like the
> perfect solution to me, although there is always the issue of a
> syntax error prohibiting apache from starting, but your system
> managers should be doing a "configtest" before starting apache,
> anyway.

Not just syntax errors, but interference between the different
included files.  These files would most likely be included in the main
server configuration area of httpd.conf (and/or the SSL virtual host),
they wouldn't necessarily be in their own virtual hosts, so it could
tend to be problematic.  I think you're right, it does allow us to do
pretty much what we want, but there is more potential for problems
than we'd like.  Using htaccess files would be less problematic.

Thanks for the reply.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)