From: Les Hughes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 2:19 AM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: javax.naming.NamingException: Cannot create resource
instance

Ok, I've had a chance to modify my msql example to work with Oracle. Here's
what I found

1) When using the thin driver, make sure that the SID is actually the SID,
not the TNS name of the service. If you're not sure, open your TNSNames.ora
and look for the service name, it should have a entry (SID = XXXX). Use this
as the SID.
Also try specifying the instance on the connect string as in

jdbc:oracle:thin:myinstance@somehost:1512:mysid

I'm not an oracle DB BTW - sorry if the terminology is wrong.

2) You need to remove the javax.sql.* classes from classes12.zip and rename
to classes12.jar. You also need commons.jar, pool.jar and collections.jar in
your common/lib directory.

Debug. If the driver is loading, the Datasource will be created. When you
hit your JSP, Tomcat will dump Ora errors to stdout. Use
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.bat run to keep the server running in a console
window to get at this dump.

If you see nothing then you have a classpath/driver not found kind of
problem.

So, try a get it to throw some SQLExceptions - that why we know that you're
at least finding the driver OK.

Keep trying - it does work in the end (honest!)

BTW I'm using TC 4.0.3 LE with JDK 1.4.0-b92 on W2K with classes12.zip
downloaded from OTN yesterday, against Oracle 8i

Les