From:   Cindy Ballreich [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Tuesday, July 02, 2002 11:28 AM
To:     Tomcat Users List
Subject:        RE: plain MySQL DataSource in Tomcat (i know, damn topic)

Hi Clay,

It's a small net. I hope you are well!!

I haven't tried using Struts yet, but I've been thinking about checking it
out.

I did try the JNDI/DBCP method described at the URL you posted and it does
work and it seemed to be pooling correctly. However, the connection times
out after a while which is a real pain. I haven't had time to figure out
what's going on with that and work out fix for it yet. Also, DBCP seems a
little immature to me at this point, so I'll probably wait a little while
and try that again.

I also tried the JNDI/Tyrex setup and was able to get a connection, but I
couldn't tell if it was pooling properly and I ran into some bugs with
Tyrex so I abandoned that approach.

I've been using DbConnectionBroker using a set up similar to that described
in Bergsten's "Java Server Pages" book. The connection is stable and the
pooling is working well. I don't know how much of a load this will handle,
but for the time being it's allowing me to concentrate on other things. I'd
much rather be using JNDI, but I think that this is the most stable
approach going right now.

I hope this is at least a little bit helpful.

Hang in there

Cindy
(sorry for the top post)