What I was thinking about is something like

Thread 1: lock resource A
  (Resource can be a certain row in the database)
Thread 2: lock resource B
Thread 2: lock resource A -> Waiting for Thread 1
Thread 1: lock resource B -> Waiting for Thread 2
--> Deadlock

If you kill tomcat all lock are released and
everything is OK from the database side.

If you don't have the Enterprise Manager have a look
at the documentation of the system tables and/or stored
procedures, as far as I remember it's possible to query
this kind of information from tables or stored procedures.

<snip/>