I'm running 4.1.7 now using my test webapp.  I don't see a huge
performance improvement over tomcat 4.0.3 with jasper2, but it does look
more stable and reliable.

the CPU profile and response variance are considerably lower. The
standard deviation (read variance) using Jmeter is 1/2-1/3 that of
tomcat 4.0.3 with jasper2.  Most of the response times are in a narrower
range and wild variance is much less.

peter lin