After much head scratching and misleading messages in the archive, lots of
trial and error, and several bouts of cussing, I got pooling to work
last night (using Tomcat 4.04 and mySQL).

You need a jdbc driver (I'm using mm.mysql-2.0.14-bin.jar, obviously for
mySQL).

You also need commons-collections.jar, commons-dbcp.jar, and
commons-pool.jar.
These can be found deep in the unfriendly pages on jarkata.apache.org as
part
of a subproject for Tomcat.

Take these 4 jar files and place them in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib.

Then take a look at one of the archive messages found at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=102225547106556&w=2

This will show you what you need in your server.xml file (replace
your own database username and password for his examples).

Good luck and try getting inventive with the cussing, it helps.

Steve