I am not aware of any way to have a "spontaneous" clean shutdown in
Tomcat 3.3.1 (besides sending a "shutdown" message like shutdown.sh
does).

If feasible, I would recommend compiling a custom version of
Tomcat 3.3.1, with extra logging added to help detect the cause.
I would start with ContextManager.shutdown().  Add some logging
(there doesn't appear to be helpful logging there by default),
and print a stack trace.  Then see where the logs lead you, adding
more logging as needed.

Cheers,
Larry