Hi Craig-

>> If so, is it possible to set up a servlet that
>> could manipulate the Referrer in the header, and redirect a request along
>> an application in another Tomcat server, making it look like a post to
>> j_security_check, complete with referrer, j_username and j_password?
>>
>> Any suggestions or comments are welcome and appreciated.
>>
> Trying to forward security credentials like this is pretty much guaranteed
> not to work.
>
> One thing you might consider using is Tomcat's standard support for single
> sign on across multiple webaps.  Check out the "Single Sign On" section

Thanks for the response.  Your suggestion is only applicable for those who
have a homogenous Tomcat environment.  In my situation, my portal will have
to forward to a mixed environment of Tomcat and JRun servers.  In the future
that may expand to include either WebLogic or WebSphere.  I find it hard to
believe that there is no way to programmatically manage a login sequence
using j_security_check. Is it possible to use a servlet intermediary to
handle the login interaction and then redirect the user to a "protected"
resource once the login sequence is successfully completed?
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For additional commands, e-mail:
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>