Actually, you are wrong but your comments helped me find the
general cause of the problem...it is not a bug in
Tomcat...comments below....

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jacob Kjome" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Just because you are creating an inner class within a servlet
does not mean
> that that inner class now gets access to the ServletConfig.

Yes, I should have access to it -- inner classes have access to
their parent's fields. In this case my inner class *should* have
complete access to the ServletConfig object stored in
GenericServlet.

By the time my init() is called, the ServletConfig object has
already beens set by GenericServlet.init(ServletConfig config).

The problem is that the ServletConfig object in GenericServlet is
transient. When I serialize the Inner object the following
objects get serialized as well:

  1. My Servlet
  2. GenericServlet (contains the transient ServletConfig object)

I have more investigation to do....