More Webapp questions.. Pier ? :-)

1. I have the following directive in my httpd.conf

 WebAppDeploy     examples conn /examples

I find that if I start Tomcat and then Apache, for a
little while Apache
cannot even serve up content outside the web
application path
(eg. http://localhost/) *until* Tomcat finishes coming
up.

If Tomcat is shut down, or completely up things work
fine.

So the question is, who is serving up the static
content *outside* the web
application path? If Tomcat then why? (its outside the
web app path!!) If not
Tomcat, then why cant I get at http://localhost??

2. SSL scenarios:

  a) Apache handles SSL and not Tomcat

     In httpd.conf, I put a the following inside my
virtual host:

     SSLEngine on
     WebAppDeploy   examples conn /examples

     Now, if in the Connector in server.xml, if I
*PUT* secure=true,
     scheme=https, is the connection between Apache
and Tomcat secure?

     If I *DONT* put secure=true, scheme=https, is the
connection between
     Apache and Tomcat insecure?

   b) Tomcat handles SSL

      Couldn't get this too work! Did a secure=true,
scheme=https in server.xml
      and used keytool to get me keystore etc.. but
NEITHER of the URLs worked

       https://localhost/examples
       http://localhost/examples

      (SSLEngine not set in httpd.conf)

3. If I have JSPs scattered all over my web site, can
I in some way redirect
   only the JSPs to Tomcat?

Thanks!