you might want to look at implementing Filters to handle redirection that just checked
the request and passes the user off.

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Mark Beecroft [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent: Sun 7/21/2002 7:30 PM
        To: Tomcat Users List; Jacob Kjome
        Subject: filtering --> 2 servlets

        Good morning/afternoon/evening,

        I am using Tomcat 4 and have 2 servlets between which I would like to split
        processing. Servlet A needs to process all requests corresponding to the
        patterns "*.html", "*.html" and "/". Servlet B needs to process all other
        requests. The short question is how can I do this?

        I am currently using filters but am finding it difficult to cater for the
        pattern "/". The only option seems to be the use of the url mapping "/*"
        to invoke a filter class, but then how does processing get to Servlet B? If I
        only invoke chain.doFilter() when the pathinfo satisfies the conditions of
        Servlet A then I can get Servlet A working normally, but there seems no way
        of ever invoking Servlet B with such a configuration. To demonstrate:

        http://www.domainname.com/index.html --> Servlet A
        http://www.domainname.com/whatever.htm --> Servlet A
        http://www.domainname.com/ --> servlet A
        http://www.domainname.com/image.jpeg --> no Servlet accessed

        What I really would like is a more versatile url-pattern element, but does
        anyone have a solution for my current situation... please...

        Cheers,
        Mark
        P.S. If you help me out I'll by you a pint when you next come to England!

<<winmail.dat>>