you would have to use the machine's ip and access tomcat that way in order
to know which tomcat you are managing. But if you have multiple virtual
hosts on each server this becomes more difficult.

can you set up new aliases in your loadbalancer that knows to direct
requests to the specific host? This way server1.myvirtualhost.com goes to
server 1, etc. Then you could define these in your server.xml as aliases to
myvirtualhost.com. These aliases would not need to be internet-dns defined,
you can define them in your hosts file as long as your loadbalancer knows
what to do with the requests.

Charlie