On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Jamie M. Guillemette wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 14:54:17 -0400
> From: Jamie M. Guillemette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Realm Security Question
>
> Ok here is a straight forward question:
>
> I understand how to change my server.xml and setup my web.xml files so
> that security reaml on my server uses odbc to verify the roles /
> passwords.

Off topic comment -- you probably do not want to use ODBC for this, at
least not with the standard JDBC-ODBC driver which is not thread safe.

> The catch is im not very happy with having to edit the server.xml file.
> I would like to know if their is anyway to accomplish the same results
> by editing only files that are contained in the webapps directory. ( the
> idead behind this is im creating war files and do not wish to have
> editing the server.xml file as part of the installation procedure of my
> application)

Tomcat 4.1.x lets you have a thing called a "context configuration file"
that is separate from server.xml, and store one of these in webapps if you
want to (or deploy it via the Manager webapp).

Basically, a context configuration file takes the <Context> element, and
all its nested elements, out of server.xml into a separately maintainable
file -- so you can still configure all the stuff that requires nested
elements in a <Context> element, without having to physically modify the
server.xml file.  And, if you put such a file in the webapps directory,
the corresponding app is auto-deployed just like if you had put a
directory or WAR file there.

In a standard 4.1.x release, the admin and manager webapps are both
auto-deployed from such a context configuration file -- see
"$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/admin.xml" and
"$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/manager.xml" for examples of the kinds of things
you can do.

And no, none of this stuff works (or ever will work) on 4.0.x -- it's a
new 4.1.x feature.

> Thanks,
> j.

Craig