On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Dmitry Melekhov wrote:

> Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 11:35:27 +0500
> From: Dmitry Melekhov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: AW: default pageEncoding
>
> Ralph Einfeldt wrote:
> > AFAIK it not possible to set the default encoding by configuration.
>
> :-(

JSP 2.0 adds directives that let you do this, so you'll see it in Tomcat 5
eventually.  There is no such facility in any earlier version, though.

> > But you could write a servlet filter that does this.
> >

> Could you tell me how?
> As I understand, pageEncoding directive works at compile time
> and it is impossible to do this with filter?

You're correct -- pageEncoding tells the JSP compiler what encoding the
source page is in at *compile* time.  Filters won't be able to affect
that.

Sounds like time to get some new developers :-).

Or provide a template page (that includes this directive) as a starting
point for creating new pages, and make them use it.

> >>They don't want to write this line in every jsp...
> >>Is it possible to configure Tomcat (something else) to set default
> >
> > encoding?

Craig