As Craig said, look at the Specification.

To quote 6.2.4, page 48:
<quote>
The order the container uses in building the chain of filters to be applied
for a

particular request URI is

1. The url-pattern matching filter-mappings in the same order that these
ele-ments

appear in the deployment descriptor, and then

2. The servlet-name matching filter-mappings in the same order that these
ele-ments

appear in the deployment descriptor.

</quote>

Regards,