From: Ralph Einfeldt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 12:25 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: AW: some questions about tomcat ......urgent!!!!!

See below:

Yes

> b) Can the same webserver executable be run as separate process
> instances?

Yes

> c) Do the separate process instances of the webserver share the
> same webserver configuration or different webserver
> configuration file?

Each process instance has it's own configuration.

We have a structure like this:

/www/online/<site>
  /conf
    web.xml
    server.xml
      Files that contain the site specific setup for tomcat
  /bin
    start.sh
      Script that calls the tomcat that we want to use for
      this site with the environment for this site:

      JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java/jdk/sun1.3.1
      CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/java/tomcat-4.0.3
      CATALINA_BASE=/www/online/<site>

      export JAVA_HOME CATALINA_HOME CATALINA_BASE
      ${CATALINA_HOME}/bin/startup.sh

/usr/local/java/jdk/ibm1.3
/usr/local/java/jdk/sun1.3
/usr/local/java/jdk/sun1.3.1
/usr/local/java/jdk/sun1.4

/usr/local/java/tomcat-4.0.3
/usr/local/java/tomcat-4.0.4

This way we can have different versions of tomcat at the same time,
all sites that use the same tomcat version use the same 'executable'
and individual configuration. If we want to use an other version of
tomcat we just have to change CATALINA_HOME in start.sh (unless the
config files are incompatible between these versions)

> d) Memory footprint of the executable?

That depends on several factors. In my environment a freshly started
tomcat has 217404KB (virtual size) and 28032 (resident size)