No, it doesn't compile the included JSP every time.  The difference
is that with static includes, the code is included directly into the servlet
created by the JSP.  With dynamic includes, the output of the included
JSP is generated at the point you include it and sent to the client.  It's
a very slight difference in performance unless, of course, you have a lot
of nested static includes that you convert to dynamic.  Looking at the
.java files generated in the work directory of Tomcat for your web
application makes it more clear how static vs. dynamic works.

Touch utilities are generally included in most Unix/Linux systems.  Do
"man touch" to get more information.  If you're on Windows, I'm not
sure what the equivalent would be.

Best Regards,

Jason Koeninger
J&J Computer Consulting