Howdy,
It's more likely to be the webapps directory itself.
So if you have webapps/MyApp.war when you run you will have
webapps/MyApp.war and webapps/MyApp/[expanded WAR].

That said: if you deploy in a WAR, you should not make assumptions about
how/where it will be unpacked.  I'm assuming you want to stay
container-independent.  The servlet spec does not say anything about
how a server will unpack a WAR, if it all, nor what kind of permissions
you
are going to have the files inside the WAR.  Things like
ServletContext.getRealPath() returning null trip people up all the time
;)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics