(Newbie alert: I've been playing with Tomcat for a couple weeks, and once
made a servlet or two a couple of years ago.  Please be gentle.)

Is it possible to give a servlet access to custom class files, if those
custom classes don't want to live under WEB-INF, CATALINA_HOME, etc.?

So far as I can tell after reading

   tomcat-docs/class-loader-howto.html

four times, as well as rampant websearching, there's no way to do this in a
reasonably portable way.

According to

   http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.jsp?EID=141

for Tomcat, I have to set it "in a config file".  Which config file, and
how??  I saw nothing helpful in conf/server.xml or the web.xml template.

I would also prefer not to have to change the Tomcat startup scripts.  This
wouldn't be portable to another web server, and it would also add
complexity to the installation instructions that I'd rather avoid.  Plus,
it would expose our code to other servlets.  If I can control visibility
of this custom code to other servlets possibly running on a given engine,
great.

I'm probably looking for a solution along the lines of "add such-and-such
line to your servlet's web.xml file".

Sundry details:

Tomcat 4.0.4 (but I'd prefer a solution that's portable to other engines if
   possible)
OS: Win2000, but again, the more portable, the better
Servlet is unpacked (not in a war file)