It's fixed.

Thanks for the help. {blushing} I found the problem AFTER
I removed all the webapps and did an uninstall and then a reinstall.
On this dev box I noticed the tomcat-users.xml had
<user username="xxx" password="xxx" .../>
Obviously that was messed up and needed to be user name="".
Sadly I looked over this file a few times and it just never caught my
eye. Sort of like asking people to read the following statement:
                  ________
                 / PARIS  \
                / IN  THE  \
               / THE SPRING \

and mostly people don't catch that there are two "THEs"
Anyway thanks for the help. Sorry to waste your time, but I
appreciate it.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]