I run the 8.1.7 drivers with UnixWare 7.1.1 and with tomcat 3.x (forget
which version, fairly recent but not the most recent).  I don't have any
problems with the jar not loading, and I've used the jar in the
$TOMCAT_HOME/lib subfolder (under apps) and in the WEB-INF/lib directories.
You might consider upgrading to the 9i version of the jars and see what
happens there (I run 9i also, but on another box), this is the "current"
setup that I'm running.

--mikej
-=-----
mike jackson