Answers are intermixed.

                      Hans Kaiser

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>             To:       "Tomcat Users List"

                                                <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                      08/03/02 09:52 AM        cc:

                      Please respond to        Subject:  Re: Tomcat in a multiuser
webhost environment
                      "Tomcat Users

                      List"

Hi,

nobody knows how to solve it, or is it too simple for an answer?

best regards,
Hans

> Hello all!
>
> Is this list a closed one? I tried to post a message to the list, without
> being subscribed, but that failed (I think so, I couldnīt see the mail on
> the
> archives)
>
> I will go on directly to my problems:
> I am running an Apache 1.3.x and I have all my virtual hosts under
> /home/web/host[anyhostnaming]
> Now I need a servlet and a JSP Engine, therefore I want to use the Tomcat
> 4.x. But my users should be able to define their own contexts for the
> tomcat.
> So my questions are:
> - how to configure the apache and tomcat to forward all JSP and servlet
> request from apache to tomcat.
You could use mod_webapp or mod_jk. mod_jk gives you more control over what
Apache forwards to Tomcat. mod_webapp will forward everything under a
particular directory to Tomcat. With mod_jk you could direct Apache to
forward requests with certain url patterns to Tomcat. Generally "/servlet/"
and "*.jsp".

> - how should I setup tomcat to make it possible, that only a defined list
> of
> users are able to use jsp/servlet?
If you are using Apache as the webserver, then you could do this easily by
telling Apache to forward only certain requests to Tomcat. Using mod_jk as
a connector would help in this case.

> - how to setup tomcat or must I setup the apache (if forwarding the
> servlet/jsp request from apache to tomcat), that users are able to define
> their own
> contexts? Is it a security problem? I thought about something like a
> distributed web.xml in a defined location in the users home dirs.
Allowing users to create their own contexts, which amounts to modifying the
server.xml file, isn't a good idea. You wouldn't want user stepping on each
other's toes as well as violating the security of your system. I'd suggest
you seek alternate methods.
One way is to use the Listener class UserConfig. Assuming that every user
has a home directory, Tomcat will be able to map a request starting with a
"~" and a username to a directory, usually "public_html", under the user's
home directory. See
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/host.html for
further details.
I think with Tomcat 4.1.7, you can seperate the Context entries from the
main server.xml file. I haven't used Tomcat 4.1.7. But I think you could
define Contexts in some other file. And then add that file to the webapps
directory. This way you could seperate Contexts for each user which
probably gives you finer control. User's could define their own Contexts
and then forward them to you to add the files to the webapps directory.

> - Is it possible to limit the maximum used resources (load, memory ....)
> of
> tomcat?  Or even better per user basis?
I don't think you could limit the amount of resources on a per user basis.
At the serer level, I guess you could specify the stack and heap size when
Tomcat starts.