From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2002 12:58 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Login problem with reverse proxy

Sorry for the empty mail, i struggled with my Lotus client (who the heck
creates a dialog box that defaults to "Send" when closing a modified mail
without sending it ?)...

I have a similar configuration here (slightly complicated due to the use of
struts). You must follow some rules in your design, to be able to do this:
- do not use browser redirects, but internal redirects. Or create
dynamically JavaScript redirects on your pages (not very nice, i know).
- use only relative URLs. Otherwise, especially if your application does
not map to your proxys root directory but some subfolder, nothing will
work.
- if you use struts, be aware of some tags, that create absolut URL pathes
(the form tag for example). I extended and overrided some of these tags in
order to create relative pathes (the struts community has decided, to not
treat this issue).

Hence, the most existing J2EE applications, that are not designed and
tested for a similar environment, most likely won't work without
modifications.

Regards,

Jens Stutte

                    JensStutte@qu

                    idinfo.it            To:     "Tomcat Users List"

                                         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    09/08/2002           cc:

                    11.46                Subject:     Re: Login problem with
reverse proxy
                    Please

                    respond to

                    "Tomcat Users

                    List"

                    Barney Hamish

                    <Hamish.Barney@ect-te        To:
"'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'"
                    lecoms.de>
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                                 cc:

                    09/08/2002 11.32             Subject:     Login problem
with reverse proxy
                    Please respond to

                    "Tomcat Users List"

Hi,
I'm using tomcat 3.2 with form based login and an apache reverse proxy to
filter requests to the webserver. When tomcat issues the redirect to the
login page the users are sent directly to the webserver not the reverse
proxy. As the webserver is not directly accessable they are unable to
request the log-in page. Is anyone aware of a way I can configure tomcat
and
or the reverse proxy to make this set-up work?

More info:

-----Internet------

Reverse Proxy

----Private Net----

Webserver (with Tomcat)

When a request for a secure resource is sent to the reverse proxy, it
forwards that request to the webserver. If the user is not logged-in tomcat
tries to redirect the user to the login form. In that redirect Tomcat
apparently includes the IP address of the server upon which it is currently
residing. The reverse proxy forwards the webserver's response to the
client.
When the client tries to request the log-in page from the directly from the
webserver it is unable to reach the webserver.

Hamish

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For additional commands, e-mail: <
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>