the problem is your own encryption isn't signed by a third party, which
means if someone hack into your server, they could compromise the
security.

Hackers are smart and have tons of free time. If there's a hole, it will
be found and exploited.

Most big e-comm sites use hardware acceleration to improve the
performance. If you're going to handle moderate SSL traffic, you should
get hardware acceleration that sits between the webservers and the
browser. Look at BigIP, network SSL modules or other hardware solutions.

there are companies selling ssl ethernet cards for systems if you don't
need heavy duty SSL.

peter lin