From: Mark Annal [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2002 11:58 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Configuration for High TPS

We ran some high TPS testing recently using a Sun 220R running Solaris
8. We were running an Apache/Tomcat combination using the mod_webapp
connector.

Just running a dumb simple servlet we were topping out at 165 tps and
80% CPU.

We tried repeating the test using Tomcat standalone trying to figure out
where the bottleneck was. We still topped out at 165 tps despite
everything we tried to tweak. Our CPU was drastically reduced though to
40%.

After running some e-mails through this list, the consensus was that we
needed to tweak with our JVM as this was probably the cause of our
"ceiling". Not the web server configuration and not the horsepower on
the machine. Actually, in standalone mode, we could not drive our CPU
load beyond 40%.

So far, we haven't had a chance to research this further and our
production app is not pushing any limits just yet so its on the back
burner.

By the way, check how much stuff your Tomcat installation is logging.
The default configuration is pretty verbose and this consumes large
amounts of horsepower writing it all to disk. WinNT isn't overly good at
walking and chewing gum and a lot of disk activity can drain resources
pretty quickly.

Mark Annal                       e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
TARGUSinfo                       phone : (585) 598-7011
255 Woodcliff Drive              fax   : (585) 598-7001
Fairport, NY 14450               web   : www.targusinfo.com