You will want to look at using a JdbcRealm which will take care of that
for you.  Realms are the new standard for handling user roles.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/realm-howto.html#JDBCRea
lm

Otherwise you can do a filter like Craig mentioned which acts as an
intermediary before requests hit your servlet or pages in the first
place.

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-06-2001/jw-0622-filters.html

| Also, at this point I my servlet does receive requests (let's say
| /login) and checks if the users (in this case by providing an id in
the
| url) is trying to log in into a valid "company" in the web app, and if
| so, I use a forward to a jsp that actually shows the login form and
| let's them log in. I'm not sure if you meant I was not going to be
able
| to serve anyghing from my servlet, but i do.

I think the assumption was that you were binding to just "/" not
"/login".  If you just do "/" then you will run into major issues as
Craig mentioned.

| I'm I all confused then? I'm sorry if i sound too newbie... I am tho
:/

-Jake

> [...]
| > >
| > > What I need to be able to do is to make sure, that every request,
for
| > > any page has enought rights to view the page and use it, So i
thought
| of
| > > using a servlet as a controller. If I understand correctly what
you
| > > talked about in this and your previous post, using the servlet
mapping
| > > to "/" will not work at some point.
| > >
| > > I'm not that experienced yet in these matters, could you ilustrate
| me
| > > a bit why this won't cut it?
| > >

| > Using a *servlet* for your purpose (checking access rights) will not
| work
| > at all -- see my previous post for why you should use a Filter
instead.

| > The problem with the "/" mapping in particular is that this mapping
is
| > assigned, by default, to a servlet that serves static content.  So,
when
| > you make a request to a URL like:
| >
| >   http://localhost:8080/myapp/index.html
| >
| > you generally won't have a servlet mapped to this -- and Tomcat
assigns
| it
| > to the default file-serving servlet, which serves the "/index.html"
| static
| > resource from your web application for you.
| >
| > If you map a servlet to "/", you have just *replaced* the standard
| > processing, because Tomcat will map the request to your servlet
instead
| of
| > the standard one.  Now, let's assume that the user has the rights
they
| > need to access that resource and you want to let them have it.  What
| > should your rights-checking servlet do?
| >
| > That's right ... you're stuck.  There is no way to ask Tomcat to
serve
| the
| > resource, because there is no longer any mapping for the default
| > file-serving servlet.
| >
| > The answer is to use a Filter instead, because a Filter can examine
| > request *before* it is given to a servlet, and either intercept it
(not
| > enough access rights) or pass it on (access rights are fine).
| >
| > Do some google searches on "servlet filter" and you will find
pointers
| > some articles about how they work.
| >
| > > Thank you!
| >
| > Craig

| mapping.

| serves

| [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| > > >

| > > --
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| > > For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:tomcat-user-
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| > >

| > --
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| > For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:tomcat-user-

---