See below:

I'm a bit paranoic at this point. The best lines of code
are those that don't exist. (I have developed some 6 years
products for the medical environment where bugs could kill
people)

> I agree.  You have to worry about persistence either way.  However,
> persisting your own objects is typically a lot easier than persisting
> third party objects such as tomcat's session implementation.

In general you are right. If they are serializable (Session is)
it's not such a big point. If my dirty hack (storing a reference
to the vector in the session) works, it could be even simple and
performant, if tomcat is clever enought to store just the
references, the sessions are made persistent anyway)

> The part that I think makes his use-case very interesting and
> non-trivial is the requirement to record (and thus persist) the user's
> click-stream.  I'm not sure off the top of my head how that fits into
> the SessionInfo object, except maybe as a list of URLs the
> user visited?
> We did not have this requirement in the aforementioned
> system, and so I can't speak to it...

We do, but again we store the data in a database.
(I don't like to hold that much information in memory,
even in times of boards with 4 Gig memory, for me
memory is a valuable resource that I don't like to
waste.)