Looking through the Apache + Tomcat configuration examples we see how to
configure Apache to serve static files from its root directory and
forward to Tomcat if the request matches one of the registered context
paths.

Our problem occurs from the fact that our system allows for webapps to
be deployed and undeployed dynamically, which means the list of context
paths that require forwarding changes.  While we don't mind restarting
Tomcat when this happens but we don't want to restart Apache.

The list of directories that contains static files for Apache to serve
is constant so it seems what we need is a way to configure Apache to
redirect all requests to Tomcat EXCEPT those that match the list of
context paths.

Does anyone know how to achieve this?