From: Turner, John [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2002 12:18 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: OFF-TOPIC: Pointers to CallableStatement docs?

Hello -

I think there is a java-user list, or even a jdbc-interest list, but I'd
rather not subscribe when all I need is one quick pointer, so I am hoping
someone on this list can get me started.

I'm having quite a bit of difficulty working with stored procedures in my
classes and servlets.  The database is MS SQL Server 2000.  I've read every
single doc I can find, both at Sun, through Google, and even through the
driver vendor's documentation.  I even scammed some code from a JDBC 3.0
book (the only one I could find) at Border's, with still no luck.

Can anyone point me to a resource that explains how to setup stored
procedures in a CallableStatement correctly?  I understand about registering
the output parameters and setting the input types, and I understand that the
parameters in a CallableStatement are numbered from left to right starting
at 1.  I've seen the examples at Sun, etc. but they're not much help.

The problem is that all of the examples I can find deal with very simple,
very rudimentary stored procedures, like finding the average of two numbers,
or whatever.  Our stored procedures are more involved than that.

Example:  a stored procedure used to validate logins.  It has 5 input
parameters, and 5 output parameters.  It returns a status.  According to the
docs I have read so far, that means I should have a CallableStatement with
11 question marks ("?") in it (5 + 5 + 1 = 11).  but that doesn't work, and
I have tried every combination of inputs, outputs, input/outputs, etc. that
I can think of, to no avail.

Any help or pointers to resources that explain stored procedures and
CallableStatements in more in-depth fashion would be greatly appreciated.

- John