Thanks for your feedback, Craig and Glenn.

Craig, I think you're confusing $CATALINA_BASE/temp/
with $CATALINA_BASE/work/.  StandardContext implements
the temporary working directory for each context (per
the servlet spec) in postWorkDirectory().  It creates
a separate temp space per context within the "work"
subdirectory.

That said, how does "$CATALINA_BASE/temp/" fit into
the picture?  I can understand the benefit of
overriding the java.io.tmpdir system property is to
forcing a separate temp path for the Tomcat JVM
process as a whole (note: not the per-context work/
directory), which would isolate the temporary files
generated/accessed in the process from the rest of the
temp files in the file system.  Is there any other
reason specific to Tomcat?  (As an aside, if you are
truly concerned about security and run Tomcat with a
Java2 security policy, you probably wouldn't want to
give any file permissions to webapps outside their
respective docbase root and work directory anyway.)

Thanks,
-Eddie

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/java/io/File.html#createTempFile(java.lang.String,