Subject: Re: PropertyResourceBundle problems
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jakarta Tomcat Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com))
 ===
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jakarta Tomcat Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com))
 ===
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jakarta Tomcat Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com))
 ===
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jakarta Tomcat Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com))
 ===
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jakarta Tomcat Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com))
 ===
From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 ===

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Randy Secrist wrote:

> Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 21:58:00 -0600
> From: Randy Secrist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: PropertyResourceBundle problems
>
> Lets try this route then:
>
> Is there ANY way to get the actual class path the TC class loader uses to
> load classes at runtime from within a servlet out of ANY context?

No.  The problem is that there *is* no such thing as a "class path for the
TC class class loader used to load classes at runtime from within a
servlet".  The classpath system property is global to the entire JVM that
is running Tomcat, so it is (obviously) not capable of representing the
set of classes available to each individual webapp.

Class loaders only know what repositories they are loading classes (and
static resources) from -- in the particular case of Tomcat, they are all
subclasses of java.net.URLClassLoader so you can call getRepositories() --
but it won't help you much.  See the following docs for more details:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html
  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html

The real issue is that there's something you are doing wrong that nobody
has been able to figure out yet.  Thousands of apps all over the world
(including every app running Struts) is able to load resources from
/WEB-INF/classes or /WEB-INF/lib if they use the correct invocation.

Note that if you really did copy your properties file to
"/web-inf/classes" instead of "/WEB-INF/classes", give up and start over
-- pretty much everything about servlets and JSP pages is case sensitive.

Craig