You are confusing Tomcat.  If you are going to dynamically deploy your webapp,
don't have the .war file sitting in $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps.  Have it somewhere
else.  Everything in $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps is automatically deployed and, yes, it
is expanded if you *don't* have a Context entry defined for that webapp.

when you install like you are, there is already a webapp defined for the path
you are specifying.  Now you install another webapp under the same name.  I
don't know how Tomcat handles this situation, but it looks as if it hoses the
webapp entry.  Make sure to name your webapps uniquely and don't put any .war
files or expanded directories that you plan on dynamically installing through
the manager in Tomcat's default auto-deploy directory (webapps).

Jake