From: Milt Epstein
To: Tomcat Users List
Sent: 9/9/02 5:14 PM
Subject: RE: AJP 1.3 Connector fails to load on Tomcat 4.1.10

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Turner, John wrote:

> OK.  Hopefully docs are coming soon!  I've always wondered what the
> heck the difference was between the "Java" side and the "C" side,
> obvious differences aside.
>
> I really want to understand how a .jar file can be an Apache module,
> which is what I think you mean when you say "Java" side, though I am
> probably wrong.

Here's my understanding of this: Connectors that integrate Apache and
Tomcat have a "side" that "is part of" Apache, and another that "is
part of" Tomcat.  They can be separated this way because they
communicate through a port, and are not otherwise connected (i.e. they
are otherwise independent, e.g. in terms of implementation language,
they just have to "speak" the same protocol and know what port to
communicate through).  It's just like you have a separate web browser
and web server, and they can use HTTP to communicate on some agreed
upon port (usually 80), and it doesn't matter what language they're
implemented in.

The side that is part of Apache is a module (e.g. mod_jk), and is
written in C, as most/all modules are.  This is essentially what
mod_jk.so is.  (I imagine you can have a module written in java, but
that it's probably not the best/easiest way to go.)

The side that is part of Tomcat is written in Java, as most/all of
Tomcat is.  This is essentially what tomcat-ajp.jar (on my set
up/version, at least) is.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]