I reported that this error happened on two different machines: my Dell
laptop running NT 4, and a colleague's Sony Vaio running XP. I've now got
hold of his machine and seen the symptoms there. They're somewhat
different from on my NT system. When I run the bit of the application that
provokes the fault, a window pops up:

  JavaService

  JavaService has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
  for the inconvenience.

  If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working
  on may have been lost.

  Please tell Microsoft about this problem.

  <etc>

                                         [Send Error Report] [Don't Send]

I don't know XP well enough to know under which circumstances it uses this
pop-up.

If I then press either of the buttons, it stops Tomcat. However, if I just
ignore the pop-up, I can carry on interacting with the application. Tomcat
remains running, and if I exercise the same part of the application again
(without restarting anything or rebooting), it usually runs normally.

Randall Schulz suggested that I upgrade Java. I've checked the Java system
on this machine, and it is already 1.4.0.01, so about as recent as we can
get.

So - any ideas? I could try some hardware diagnostics, but with the fault
occurring (in different ways) on two very different machines and systems,
I don't believe they can both have hardware problems.

Jocelyn Paine
http://www.ifs.org.uk/~popx/
+44 (0)7768 534 091