No, you don't have to uninstall Apache 1.3 that came with Redhat.  Just
leave it where it is, make sure it doesn't run at boot by default.  Then put
Apache 2 in some location like /usr/local/apache2.  You won't hurt anything
leaving your existing Apache as is, you just want to make sure it doesn't
conflict with the Apache you are trying to install.

I don't use RPMs, I build from source for non-Java, use binaries for Java.
That's me.  If you want to build from source, that's cool, just make sure
you know what you are doing before you start and that you have the build
tools ready to go (like GNU make, autoconf, m4, etc).

You might want to consider using RedHat tools like up2date (or whatever they
call it) to upgrade your Apache 1.3 RPM to Apache 1.3.26 instead of trying
to put another RPM on top of it.  Like I said, I don't use RPMs, so I'm not
the best person to help with those sorts of issues, and either way, basic
sys-admin questions don't belong on this list.  There's no requirement that
you must use 2.0.40...I'm using 1.3.26 in production and it works with
Tomcat just fine.

John