Yes, this is absolutely possible.  I have 13 instances (Tomcat 3.1) running
on a single server at the moment.

You will need a different server.xml for each, a different work directory
for each, and each must be on its own connector port (whichever connector
you choose to use).  At least, that is how it is set up on my server.

John