Separate everything...separate startup scripts, separate classpaths,
separate work directories, separate server.xml.

So I have things like tomcat-host1 and tomcat-host2 startup scripts, and
server-host1.xml and server-host2.xml, and work-host1 and work-host2
directories, etc.  Only one CATALINA_HOME directory. Apache runs on port 80,
so as long as the connector ports are kept straight (no conflicts)
everything runs fine.

John